Sunday, April 8, 2012

Prayer

I had a great reminder yesterday from a friend. I don't think she realized it, but it really hit me on how little I actually pray for others. How my prayer life is actually lacking a little bit. I tried to teach my girls that prayer is the most important thing we have. It's the one thing that can never be taken from us. Our church buildings could be gone, our Bibles could be scarce, but prayer is always with us. It's so important because this is how we communicate with God.

So lately why have I been showing them that debating is more important? I feel like lately that is really all people see is a person who is controversial and likes to debate. Is this really how I want people to see me?

What can I do to really change this? Well my friend reminded me that bring criticism to people is not what will help them. Why isn't our first thought when we hear a story that makes us morally cringe to pray? Why don't we pray more often for these people? Why don't I pray more often for these people?

Philippians 4:6
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God."

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
"Be joyful always; pray continually' give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

What is it that we should always turn to? Prayer! I guess it's made me think a lot. Before I start getting involved with debates. Before I start criticizing others. My first response will always be prayer.

Now I am not saying that we should stand by silently on issues. Because my spoken word is good, and it's a way to make people think, but how arrogant it would be of me to think that my words are stronger than prayer.  I hope from now on that you see a more prayerful spirit in my words, and words that are not so harsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment