Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 6 of 40

So I haven't given most of my blog readers a hint of what I am doing for Lent. If you know me personally or you are my Facebook friend I am pretty sure you know by now. I still don't want to give you too much of a hint because I plan to do a pretty big blog about it next week. But there is this journal that you can do along with your 40 days and it's been so inspirational. Well today's brought me to tears. You could say it's a  lack of mental stability right now, but I think it's really because it spoke deep to my heart. I have often said to my husband and mentioned this in a blog once "Let's just move to a remote village!" Well here is the devotional from today:

"Would you rather your children grow up in Uganda or America?"


That was one of the questions a man named John asked at a dinner with a variety of students in leadership positions in their colleges while visiting Uganda. A Ugandan man; a father, a pastor, and community leader; answered without hesitation.


"Uganda"


Some of the people at the table appeared to be shocked.


"But America," John replied, "It's the land of opportunity. It's safe. You can get medical attention. At least three meals a day. And clean water."


"Exactly," the Ugandan man said. "You know where your next meal is coming from. You have jobs. Paychecks. In Uganda, you may not know where your next meal comes from. You have little money. You have nothing to depend upon but God. And I would rather have my children rely on God more than I would want them to be distracted by everything else."


What are some things that clamor for our sense of stability? Jobs? Paychecks? Cars? Food in the fridge? All of those things.


These things aren't band in and of themselves, but they can distract us...maybe more often than not. Comfort is an illusion. We believe we have control when everything in our lives are going well. When something we depend on falls apart, it's easy for us to fall apart, too. Our illusion is shattered.


Where does my help come from?


I hope you read that all! Tears came down my face when I began to think of all I have that distracts me from trusting God. So I ask you a question and yes I want you to answer it the best you can. Leave a comment on my blog or leave a message on my facebook or you can email me myheartasamom@yahoo.com. So here is the question...

How are we distracted from our dependence on God? In a culture of over-abundance and luxury, how can we remedy this?

No comments:

Post a Comment