Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Relentless Act:s of Sacrifice: Ash Wednesday

What does sacrifice mean? I have never done anything for Lent. It wasn't something we did in our church while I was growing up and I remember all my friends talking about what they were giving up for Lent. There was always a confused look on my face. I always thought it was kind of funny giving up all these little things like candy bars... especially when you don't eat a ton of them! For some reason this year I have been feeling like giving something up for lent...and did God ever give me a Goliath of one! (This one will actually be share in week two of my blogs on this)

I read something on Ann Voskamp's blog just today. I was still struggling with this whole idea and so many things have really made it clear that this is something I should do. She said:

"Okay...Lent. It's the preparing the heart for Easter. Like going with Jesus into the wilderness for forty days, that we might come face to ugly face with our enemy. Our sacrificing that we might become more like Christ in His sacrifice."

Now maybe that doesn't speak to you the same way it does to me right now, but let me tell you a little bit more about how this whole Lent thing came about...

Our family sponsors a little girl from World Vision. I love the organization and just learned they have a little section of they organization called act:s, The World Vision Activism Network. If you don't know anything about them check out World Vision here and check out the act:s website here! So this Lent they are having Relentless Act:s of Sacrifice...so as soon as I saw it I signed up! It was totally something that spoke to my heart, but when I got the first email that it was time to start thinking I thought...Forget it! I don't have time or energy right now for this...I can't do it. Sacrificing isn't about having the time or energy. It's not about it being easy. Sacrifice is hard and if it's not hard what's the point? So today after reading Ann's blog I said...OH YES! I am so doing this. 

Sacrificing for me is a time to remember what I really have. Remember what Christ did for me, that maybe on some small scale I can understand His sacrifice just a little bit better. It's about knowing what I have that others don't and giving up so that they might be able to have it. 

So here I am today drinking a Diet Mt. Dew while also sipping on a cup of coffee. Any guesses what the BIG sacrifice will be? Actually it's just a small part of my whole thing, but it's an important one. So here I go 6 weeks 6 challenges. Go God be the glory!


1 comment: