Thursday, September 16, 2010

Why Dreads?

So today I am sitting here having my first cup of coffee. Yes I know....how wrong is it that I am having my first cup of coffee at 1 in the afternoon. It's just such a beautiful rainy day and it feels good to have a warm cup of coffee. So I started thinking about my week I have had. It's been full of so many feelings. First I got my dreads. I was nervous and excited...they turned out great. Just what I have always wanted. But then the reality of living in a small town hit. Outside appearance is everything in a small town. I don't care what small town you live it...they are all pretty much the same when it comes this topic. I have broken the mold of what kind of hair you should have here. Most moms have a mom do. A nice angled bob. I tried that once...it just wasn't me. But what is me? I would often wonder that myself. Living a life trying to fit in with everyone else...it just never felt right. I just want to be me. And so the verses....

Judges 16:19
She made him sleep on her knees. And she called a man and had him shave off the seven locks of his head. Then she began to torment him, and his strength left him.



1 Cor 11:15
but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

Now you are probably more confused than ever. That's ok...I was confused about alot of this myself at one point. Now let me say here...what I am about to say is not what I believe everyone should do. I feel that this is what I needed to do for me.



I was always intrigued by the story of Samson and his seven locks of hair. Did it ever confused anyone else that he only had seven locks of hair? Well when you are a kid they just tell you that they cut his hair. They don't say that he has seven locks of hair. So when I got a bit older and read the story for myself I always wondered why he only had seven locks of hair. I had actually read a Bible study when I was in high school about Samson and in this study they hinted towards the fact that Samson's hair might have been in braids or dreads. Dreads? So this sent me on my search. I was in high school and didn't even know what dreads were! But I did look around for info. Lots of places they talk about dread being done for spiritual purposes. Those who took the nazarite vow often would wear their hair in a dread like way. For years I have wanted to do my hair in dreads. I felt that if I did my hair in dreads maybe I would feel closer to God. I mainly forgot about my wanting to do this. I thought it was probably just a stage and I would eventually get over it and not want to do it. But not true! Over the years the thought would come to me and I would think about it. Lately it's been getting to me...I wanted to do it so badly! Finally I got my husband to agree with it and now it's done.

The second verse really stuck out to me when I was doing a study on head covers. This verse sums up what I learned from the study. I am not huge on head coverings. I did enjoy wearing a bandanna every once in a while...but not for spiritual purposes. This study kind of gave me a peace, that head coverings were not needed. My hair is my head covering. I have been feeling for a long time that I should keep my hair long. But I always have and urge to cut my hair short. People always say I look great with short hair and that makes the urge even greater! So I figured if I did my hair in dreads it would take that urge away. It has! :)

Now the first few days after I did my hair I was feeling horrible! At one point I honestly wanted to take them out. I was frustrated with the looks and everyone thinking one thing or another. What I thought everyone was thinking was bothering me. Then we went on a weekend trip, just me and my husband, to LifeLight. It's a free Christians music festival in South Dakota. It was a wonderful weekend for us. Also I felt like I was just another face in the crowd. There were so many people there with so many different styles that it wasn't a big deal! I LOVED IT! It really made me think how it would be to go back home. Would I continue to let other peoples thoughts and look bother me? Or would I just trust God and trust that I did this for Him? So it really got me thinking and reminded me that God is the only one that matters. His opinion is the one that should mean the most to me. Is God happy with me? I think He is.

2 comments:

  1. Sara,

    Thanks for your post, it was very encouraging! You now have me inspired to get my blog up and going instead of always using facebook. Have a great day and hope to get together sometime in the near future!!!

    Shelly Jerrett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sara, I love the way you do things. Just be yourself, do what you want for yourself and for God because thats all that matter in the end anyway. We are not here for show or to be others view of entertainment. We have a lot of non believers walking this earth so that would explains the dirty looks and such. You go girl!

    Tara :)

    ReplyDelete