Monday, January 17, 2011

Matthew...NT 30...day whatever day it is....

So I haven't been on lately. It seems I just haven't been able to find much time to get on. I am through Acts with my reading of the New Testament, but for some reason Matthew keeps calling to me.

Just a few days ago I was telling Darrel what my favorite part of my reading Matthew was. And really it has been my favorite part of reading the New Testament so far. Matthew 16...you should really read it. But I will tell you a little bit. Some people come to Jesus and ask Him to show a sign from heaven. He tells them that a wicked and adulterous generation looks for a miraculous signs. It got me wondering about our generation. Are we wicked and adulterous? Absolutely! We can't just rely on faith or the Word of God...we want those signs to prove to us that He is who He says.

I think about all the times I try to ask God for a sign to prove that He is still there. It takes me awhile to get out of it, but then I finally realize all I need is His word. He said He would never leave me nor forsake me! Isn't that enough? I think about all the times in the Bible that God saved His people from their enemies and they never really trusted Him. They always wanted more. They always went to other gods and idols. How often do we do that? Instead of going to God how often to do we turn to facebook to make us feel better? Instead of going to God how often do we turn to food to help solve our problems? Instead of going to God how often do we turn to drugs and drinking to drowned those feelings? Instead of going to God how often do we turn to the TV for comfort? How often? Only each person can answer those questions for themselves. I know I have a harder time going to God rather than other things. A lot of people will say there is nothing wrong with finding comfort in other things...but really isn't God the only one who can help us find real comfort? Isn't He the only one who can save us from our sins. And isn't He the only one who has shown us time and time again to actually be there and be able to get rid of those sins and feelings for good? He has thrown our sins as far as the east is from the west! We are an adulterous generation!

The neat thing about this is that my week was wrapped up on Sunday with the pastor preaching on this very thing. Being an adulterous generation. Nothing like God saying I really want to teach you this and I REALLY want you to remember this!

I have a video to share with you also. Now he says this in the video, but it's for church goers. People who say they are truly Christians. Just watch it and let it make you think for a little bit!


No comments:

Post a Comment