Friday, March 4, 2011

Who is Rob Bell?

I actually really don't know who he is. I just know lately I have been reading about him A LOT! I guess he has written this great book that isn't even out yet called "Love Wins". Lots of people seem to have a problem with this because they say it teaches Universalist doctrine. Some people who read my blog my not know what that is and don't worry I didn't really either until I started dating my husband. He had attended a Universalist church for a couple of years, not because he agreed with them but because they lacked something and he felt that was a true understanding of who God is and a real relationship with Jesus.

This is why I find Universalism a bit scary...This comes off of their website:

Unitarian Universalism is a caring, open-minded religion that encourages seekers to follow their own spiritual paths. Our faith draws on many religious sources, welcoming people with different beliefs. We are united by shared values, not by creed or dogma.

Our congregations are places where we gather to nurture our spirits and put our faith into action by working toward social justice in our communities and the wider world. There is no formal conversion process, so becoming a Unitarian Universalist (UU) is simply a matter of self-identification. Newcomers are always welcome at UU churches. Membership in local congregations is voluntary and does not require renouncing other religious affiliations or practices.


So what I find a bit worrisome here is that nothing is wrong and nothing is right. It's a breading ground for lukewarmness actually. I also feel like it's a great place if you don't want to be challenged in your faith and grow. Does anyone else see this? Does anyone else see the danger in believing that all roads lead to the same place? Honestly it's the same reason I stay away from the once saved always saved doctrine. Is that really how I want to live believing that I don't really have to do anything once I have been saved and if I do happen to stray away from God it's ok I am still saved!? My husband and I have always believed that it's better to be safe than sorry. I would rather go on believing that if you aren't living a life that is glorifying to God then you probably aren't saved even if at one time you were. I am going to continue to challange you and try to bring you closer to God.

So when I read a blog that Greg Boyd wrote I was a bit frustrated with something he said:

...questions surrounding the nature and duration of hell and the possibility that all will eventually be saved are not questions Christians should be afraid of. What does truth have to fear? (I sometimes wonder if the animosity some express toward Universalists [or toward those some assume are Universalists] is motivated by the fear that the case for Universalism might turn out to be more compelling than they can handle.

Yes one of my fears is that MANY people are finding Universalism compelling. I would actually say that too many people are finding it compelling. Let me ask you this if we have nothing to worry about and if we are all going to be saved anyway why did Jesus stress that we should go out and preach the gospel?

Mark 16:15-16 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

So why does Jesus speak of those who are condemned? If we are all going to be saved in the end why would he even speak of that. Now I do want to point something out. I don't think I know who is saved and who is not. Please don't get me wrong. I can't know what is in someones heart just like someone cannot know what is in my heart. The only people who really know who is saved are the people themselves and God. Remember God is our final judge. I have often been heard saying that there are going to be lots of us surprised in Heaven.

So you may ask...why am I being so harsh on the Universalist if I claim not to know. Who is really saved? Well because of this...it is empty. It doesn't teach of Christ redeeming power and it doesn't speak out against evil. I believe that this way of believing is a powerful tool of Satan. Actually which makes me think of something...if everyone is safe does that mean that Satan would also be safe? Anyway...

I think we need to be mindful and careful of leading people astray. Doesn't the Bible also talk about that? Also if we go about not caring because it doesn't really matter in the end because we will all be saved in the end...why does God talk about spitting the lukewarm out of his mouth? Really I am not claiming to know everything here...but I hope that I have gotten you to think a little bit.

Now have you reminded yourself today about what the Bible says about God? What do we really know about God?

God is Holy

God is eternal

God is all-knowing

God is all-powerful

God is fair and just


Just think about it all...

2 comments:

  1. I think when Christians talk about Universalism they may mean Universal Reconciliation, which is different from the Unitarian Universalist Church. The UUC teaches pretty much nothing, as you know. They wouldn't say that Jesus is the Way, or that God exists, or that the Bible is true.

    UR, though, is a term I've read a lot lately, and we've met some people who believe it. Basically, they believe that God is real, the Bible is true, and Jesus died for us. They believe that Jesus died for everyone, and therefore everyone will ultimately be reconciled to God. They emphasize God's great love and grace (true and important!) but don't think you actually have to believe in Christ. The Universalist (in this sense) does believe in Christ, but he also believes that non-Christians are saved too - they just don't know it, so they aren't "enjoying" God's love.

    Sarah Light

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say: Rob Bell teaches universal reconciliation, not unitarianism.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete