Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Has anyone ever seen this movie? I watched it the other night with my girls. They loved it and I of course enjoyed it. It's a classic children's movie and so fun to watch! Well I started thinking that maybe Schulz was making fun of our culture a little bit in this movie.

Linus is one of my favorite characters in the Peanuts clan. He's cute and lovable and he carries his blanket everywhere he goes. I have to admit that he makes his security blanket look so useful that I have often thought I should start carrying one! So here is Linus and he is writing a letter to the Great Pumpkin. He believes that the Great Pumpkin rises out of the most sincere pumpkin patch and brings gifts to all the boys and girls. Hmmm...this is sounding similar to someone else I have heard of. At one point Charlie Brown is yelling at him trying to convince him the Great Pumpkin is not real. He says to Linus...
"Oh brother! When are you going to stop believing in something that isn't true?"
And I can't help but love Linus' response...
"When YOU stop believing in that fat guy in a red suit and a white beard who goes 'HO! HO! HO!'"
I heard him say this and I couldn't help but wonder if Schulz was just as confused as some of us as to why we spend so much time making sure I kids believe in things that aren't true. Hmmmm...

Then at one point my thoughts were pretty much confirmed when Linus and Sally had this discussion!

Linus: He'll come here because I have the most sincere pumpkin patch and he respects sincerity.
Sally: Do you really think he will come?
Linus: Tonight the Great Pumpkin will rise out of the pumpkin patch. He flies through the air and brings toys to all the children of the world.
Sally: That's a good story.
Linus: You don't believe the story of the Great Pumpkin? I thought little girls always believed everything that was told to them. I thought little girls were innocent and trusting.

Well Charles Schulz...you have made me think a little bit! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment