Friday, June 3, 2011

What's in a name?

Many people have been asking about our newest little girl's name. We are known for being creative, but this seems to be a bit more than anyone expected from us. We had a name picked out, but something ruined it all for me!

Our pastor got up and talked about the importance of prayer. This is something that my husband in I stress in our lives and our children's lives. We always let them know that things can be taken away from us. Our home, our churches, our Bibles and so much more. But one thing that they can't take from us is prayer. They can try to regulate it, but it's not something that can be done. It's our connection with God...it's how we communicate with Him how we talk to Him. So here I am listening to this sermon about prayer and our pastor shares this verse.

Daniel 2:16-18
So Daniel went in and requested of the king that he would give him time, in order that he might declare the interpretation to the king.

Then Daniel went to his house and informed his friends, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, about the matter, so that they might request compassion from the God of heaven concerning this mystery, so that Daniel and his friends would not be destroyed with the rest of the wise men of Babylon.

I heard the name and something just clicked in my head. That's her name. Yes technically it is a boys name, but when I found there was a feminine spelling of it....I just knew it was right. Something I want for my children is to have a strong emphasis on prayer in their lives. What a great person to name my daughter after...one of the people Daniel went to asking for prayer. And because of their prayers God helped Daniel and spared their lives.

I also love another verse about Azariah...

Daniel 1:18-20
Then at the end of the days which the king had specified for presenting them, the commander of the officials presented them before Nebuchadnezzar. The king talked with them, and out of them all not one was found like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; so they entered the king’s personal service. As for every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king consulted them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and conjurers who were in all his realm.

The king found them 10 times better than the magicians and conjurers! They stood out and I believe this is because they had God on their sides. They were loyal to God and they trusted in God and He was on their side! I also love the story about them being thrown in the fire when they wouldn't bow to the king. But my favorite part is not when God saved them from the fire...that's a great part...so what is it that I like so much? That when they were confronted they made it clear. God can save us. He can save us from your hand. But they knew that He may not save them. But they wanted to make it clear either way that they would never serve or bow down to the kings god's. I love that!

So there is the story behind her name. Azariya means "Whom the Lord saved". Seems like the more children we have each of their names has a longer story to go with it! But that's ok...I enjoy telling the stories. I just hope you enjoy hearing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment